What do Freshfields do?
At Freshfields, we help our clients grow, strengthen and defend their businesses. This means seeing things from their perspective, and building relationships that withstand the most pressurised situations.
‘When I was deciding which firm to join, what swung it was the quality of the clients that Freshfields works for’
The work we do for clients
As a full-service firm, we help our clients tackle their most complex commercial challenges. In practice, this means we handle three main kinds of work:
- Transactional work to help our clients grow. This ranges from stock-market flotations to big-ticket M&A deals;
- Regulatory work to strengthen our clients’ operations. We advise on every type of regulatory issue, from financial services regulation to tax, combating bribery and corruption to buying and selling property; and
- Risk management and disputes work to help defend our clients’ businesses and reputations. This involves not only litigation to arbitration but also handling major global investigations by regulatory authorities.
At this stage you might not know which of these areas will most interest you, or where your skills and personality will best fit. But you will have plenty of opportunities to decide over the course of a training contract with us. You can also find out more by attending a workshop, two-day programme or participating in a vacation scheme.
We aim to add value in everything we do. As well as dealing with our clients’ immediate issues, we anticipate how future legal, commercial and political developments will affect their operations.
So our lawyers need to be on top of the law and understand each client’s business and the sector in which it operates.
We are looking for graduates who have a good academic background and it’s equally important that you have commercial awareness – in other words, a genuine interest in how business works.
Our clients range across a variety of sectors and industries. They also include charities for whom we work on a pro bono basis.
Here are just a few:
- Charity: Liberty, Oxfam, Save the Children, British Red Cross
- Consumer and retail: Colgate Palmolive, Mars
- Energy: BP
- Financial: AIG, Bank of England, Deutsche Bank, Goldman Sachs, HSBC, London Stock Exchange, Morgan Stanley
- Healthcare: AstraZeneca, Novartis
- Media: Pearson, RELX Group
- Technology: HP, CK Hutchison
- Transport and automotive: VW, BAE Systems